External factors account for approximately 90% of perceived skin ageing – including wrinkles, roughness, mottled pigmentation (age spots) and loss of elasticity. These external factors include, but are not limited to, smoking, UV light, stress, environment and pollution. These external factors are called free radicals. Free radicals are another contributing factor of skin ageing.These are parts of molecules (e.g. oxygen molecules) that are found in the body. As a result of external factors, like ultraviolet radiation, nicotine or unhealthy food, the free radicals become prone to react. This means that they are constantly looking for other chemical substances to bond with. Hence, they attack the collagen fibres, cellular membrane and lipid layer of the skin. Free radicals change the inherited properties stored in the cell nucleus, so that the quality of newly formed skin cells deteriorates.
The body protects itself against these aggressors through anti-oxidant enzyme systems (antioxidants). But from the age of twenty onwards, these natural defence mechanisms gradually decline, so that the skin can no longer defend itself. Therefore, one of the basic ideas of modern anti-ageing therapy consists of making up for the deficiencies in antioxidants caused by advanced ageing by supplying the body with the appropriate vitamin supplements.
Antioxidants neutralise free radicals, help prevent damage to skin’s support structure and help prevent visible signs of ageing by stimulating collagen.
Antioxidants are substances that help create a barrier from free radial damage.
Antioxidants are also widely used as ingredients in dietary supplements in the hope of maintaining health and preventing diseases such as cancer and coronary heart disease.
(Antioxidants include Beta Carotene, Pomegranate, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E (Alpha-Tocopherol), Vitamin A, Goji Berry, Ellagic acid, Ginkgo Biloba, Rose Hips, Garlic, Grape seed, Bilberry, Seaweed and Green tea.
Topical (applied to the surface of the skin) antioxidants enter the skin and protect against both UVB and UVA radiation from the sun. Studies show that, once in the skin, topical antioxidants remain for days and cannot be washed, rubbed or perspired off. )
The most established topical antioxidant with excellent clinical evidence is Vitamin C - however, to be effective it must possess the following characteristics:
- It must contain L-ascorbic acid (pure vitamin C rather than derivatives)
- It must be at acid pH
- It must contain a high concentration of L-ascorbic acid
- The L-ascorbic acid must be stable
SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic not only contains the right form and strength of Vitamin C but is also combined with two other powerful antioxidants to form a unique and powerful combination containing:
- 15% L-ascorbic Acid (pure Vitamin C) – Neutralises free radicals, primarily in the aqueous (water containing) parts of skin; stimulates collagen synthesis; regenerates vitamin E when it is used up fighting free radicals; and provides photoprotection.
- 1% Alpha Tocopherol (pure Vitamin E) – Neutralises free radicals, primarily in the cell membrane and cell lipids; aids in the healing process; and provides photoprotection (protection against sundamage).
- 0.5 % Ferulic Acid – Neutralises free radicals; improves the stability of vitamins C and E; and enhances photoprotection.
New research shows:
- Sunscreens used alone only block 45-55% of free radicals, leaving skin vulnerable to environmental damage
- C E Ferulic is the only antioxidant combination proven to provide 8 fold protection against sundamage
- C E Ferulic reduces sunburn cells up to 96% in UV irradiated skin
- C E Ferulic prevents thymine dimers, DNA mutations associated with skin cancer
Daily application, along with the use of a broad spectrum sunblock offers ultimate protection from UV light and associated skin damage (including the prevention of some skin cancers).
Improvement in complexion and fine lines after one year's use of SkinCeuticals vitamin C plus SkinCeuticals ultra 50.
SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic is a high tech proven antioxidant combination that:
- Will reduce the appearance of fine lines and help to lighten age spots resulting in a more even complexion
- Will reduce free radical damage and protect against oxidative stress - the factors that lead to premature ageing, loss of elasticity and age spots
- Once absorbed, can't be washed, or rubbed off - excellent for use in conjunction with sunscreens
- Will help to condition your skin prior to injury caused by facial surgery, laser or intense pulsed light treatment, chemical peels and microdermabrasion resulting in improved healing and better results
This product is ideal for all skin types and should be applied once daily (in the morning) using fingertips, apply 4-5 drops of C E Ferulic to exposed skin - i.e. face, neck, hands and chest.