Vitamin C is a powerhouse ingredient that is essential for your daily routine. The antioxidant properties make vitamin C for skin health crucial. When added to your daily routine, a vitamin C serum can help provide a wide range of benefits that keep your skin looking youthful and fresh.
1) Protects Against Free Radicals - If you haven’t heard yet, air pollutants are causing our skin cells damage. Fortunately, the benefits of vitamin C in skin care help to protect against the damage caused by free radicals while neutralizing them to slow down the visible signs of ageing. Free radicals are basically unpaired electrons that are chemically unstable and try to find other electrons to help them stabilise. Unfortunately for your skin, these unstable nanoparticles usually resort to stealing electrons from other cells within your skin.
2) Brightens Complexion - High-potency vitamin C also helps visibly brighten your skin by diminishing the appearance of dark spots and discoloration. With its powerful antioxidant properties, vitamin C works to even out skin tone and brighten your overall complexion, leaving you with a vibrant glow.
3) Reduces Signs of Ageing - Finally, the benefits of vitamin C help to reduce the signs of ageing by dramatically improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots Moisturising with vitamin C aids in replenishing the skin’s natural lipids and restoring the skin’s natural barrier function, which yields softer skin texture and increased moisture retention.
4) Improves Texture and Damaged Skin - Studies have shown that a topical Vitamin C serum is an effective ingredient for improving skin texture, reducing the appearance of damaged skin, and aiding in wound healing.
5) Protect Against Long-term Sun Damage - Vitamin C is also known for its ability to protect the skin against long-term sun exposure. This is because vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from UV light.
6) Controls Oil and Acne Breakouts - For those with acne-prone or oily skin, vitamin C can be an effective skincare product to promote healthy skin by controlling oil and reducing breakouts. A study showed that a topical application of vitamin C helped reduce inflammation in acne-prone skin.
7) Aids in Collagen Production - Another powerful vitamin C benefit is the aid in collagen production, which is essential for maintaining proper skin health. Collagen is a protein that helps give skin its structure and elasticity. As we age, our collagen production decreases, which can lead to sagging skin.
Like most things, not all topical vitamin C products are created equal, which is why it is critical that you know which elements to look for when selecting a new product. You should always buy products that are packaged in such a way that protects the product from sunlight, which prevents premature oxidation of the vitamin.
You will also want to look for a serum that contains L-Ascorbic acid, as it is the purest form of vitamin C and provides superior antioxidant defence compared to any of its acid derivatives.
SkinCeuticals Serums are recognised as the Gold Standard Vitamin-C Product. They have the patents for the best vitamin c serums.
Incorporating Vitamin C Into Your Routine
Cleanser - Start with a daily foaming wash to remove excess dirt, makeup, and other surface pollutants from your skin. View SkinCeuticals Simply Clean.
Exfoliate - Add this step only twice a week to help remove dead skin cells that could be clogging up your pores and dulling the appearance of your skin tone. The key to using exfoliating products is not to scrub too hard, as doing so could create micro abrasions on the skin, which could become infected and result in acne breakouts. View SkinCeuticals Retexturising serum.
Toner - These products are designed to remove any residue left by your cleanser in addition to wiping away salts, chlorines, and chemicals that can be found in tap water that may dehydrate the skin. View SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective Essence Mist
Serums – Morning only - Most vitamin C products are available as serums, which can offer concentrated doses of their active ingredient to your skin, increasing the overall performance of the product. View SkinCeuticals Double Defence C E Ferulic Kit
Moisturiser - Finish things off with an evenly applied moisturiser to your face and neck to help keep the skin hydrated. View SkinCeuticals A.G.E Interrupter Advanced
SPF – Apply a broad-spectrum SPF daily. View SkinCeuticals Advanced Brightening UV Defence SPF 50
Comments will be approved before showing up.